Saturday, April 11, 2009

poke salad recipe with wild onions

I have been making poke salad the same way for 20 years(previous post), I decided to try something different today, my husband and son enjoyed and I did as well.

Poke Salad with Wild Onions

  • 2 oz. wild onions(after trimming)
  • 2 Tbls. olive oil(4 total)
  • 4 oz. washed tender poke leaves(1 to 3 inches long)
  • 2 Tbls. olive oil(4 total)
  • 3 oz. cheddar cheese(I used sharp because that is what I prefer)
  • 4 Tbls. butter(the real stuff)
  • 6 farm fresh eggs
  • salt and pepper to taste(I add a splash of Franks hot sauce)

Cover the poke with hot water and bring to a boil, boil gently for 5 minutes, drain and cover 1 more time with fresh hot water, bring to a boil again and boil gently for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with running warm water for 30 seconds.

Trim the wild onions leaving some of the green, peel off the outer skin, and wash.

Slice the onions thin(about 1/8 of an inch).

Heat 2 tbls. of olive oil(I used extra virgin), add onions and stir fry over medium heat until crispy and light brown, do not stop stirring and do not use too high of a heat(they will burn quick). Remove onions and set aside, do not cover(they will get soft).
Put 2 tbls. of olive oil in the same pot and add poke leaves back to pot(you can cut the leaves up smaller if you prefer). Stir fry for 5 minutes, stir in 4 tbls. of butter and season to taste(spread evenly over bottom of pot). Whisk the eggs and pour over poke leaves, cover with tight fitting lid and cook until eggs set(it takes 8 minutes on medium on my electric stove(if eggs are not completely set in center, just poke mixture and eggs will cook up).
Turn off the heat and cover with thin sliced cheese.
Cheese will melt.

I cut mine in 6 pie or pizza shaped slices(this made it easy to remove from pot). I made this to serve 3 people as a main course(2 slices each). Sprinkle crispy fried onions on top just before serving. I served this with peaches I had canned in light syrup, they complimented each other well.








No comments: